Home > For Students > Student FAQs

Student Frequently Asked Questions

What is Overseas Student Health Cover?

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) provides medical and hospital insurance for overseas students while studying in South Australia. OSHC will assist with expenses including doctor’s fees, ambulance, hospital cover and some medication. South Australia Government Schools can organise OSHC for students on a student visa, which will provide cover for the entire length of the program. If you are a Study Abroad Program student, OHSC is included in the cost of your program fee. If you are a Primary or High School Graduate Program student, the OHSC fee is in addition to your tuition fees.

Why do I need Overseas Student Health Cover?

As an international student, you are required to have Overseas Student Health Cover for the duration of your student visa. Health cover will ensure that you have access to essential health services whilst you are in Australia.

Where can I live in South Australia?

If you are 12 years of age or older, the staff at South Australian Government Schools can organise a suitable and accredited homestay family to for you to live with while you are a part of our International Student Program. Students can also have the choice to live with an accredited nominated homestay or family member. Alternatively, students are able to live with a parent in South Australia, if the parent has a Guardian Visa.

Can I work while I am studying in South Australia?

If students are wanting to work while they are studying abroad in South Australia, they must comply with their Visa conditions and South Australian Government Schools policies in relation to part time work. Please click here to read more information about these policies and part time work for international students in South Australia.

Who will help me if I have a problem?

There are a number of people who can assist you if you are having problems at school, including your International Student Program Manager, homegroup teacher, school counsellor and staff of South Australian Government Schools. In the case of an emergency, South Australian Government Schools operates a 24-hour emergency phone service that will respond to your call for assistance.

Do you offer student exchanges or scholarships?

Our International Student Program is not a reciprocal exchange program. We also do not currently offer scholarships to international students, however, check with your agent for scholarship or financial assistance opportunities offered in your home country for studying abroad.