Bring the world home
South Australian Government Schools arrange homestay accommodation for international students who are 12 years of age or older while they are studying abroad in South Australia.
You can choose to host a student for a period of time that best suits your family:
- 1-4 terms (short term High School Study Abroad students)
- 1-5 years (longer term High School Graduate Program students)
Who manages the Homestay Program?
International Education Services (IES) is a unit within the Department for Education and trades as South Australian Government Schools. IES manages all aspects of the International Student Program, including student recruitment and homestay accommodation.
What does it take to be a homestay?
There is no such thing as a typical homestay family. You can be single, a couple, family with children, empty nester or retiree. Whoever you are, what’s most important is that you are committed to the program and provide a caring family for our students.
Every family gets something different from the experience
There is no doubt you will all learn a lot about a new culture, food, language, customs and traditions but you will also have the chance to:
- participate in activities and meet other host families
- be a tourist in your own town and state as you show them around
- make lifelong friendships with your student and their family
You’ll care for them and we’ll care for you
When you host an international student, they will become a member of your family. Your student will be a long way from home and in your care so you will be expected to provide them with a safe, supportive and welcoming home environment.
As a homestay, you will be required to provide your student with:
- a furnished bedroom inside the family home (not a separate dwelling)
- all meals
- use of utilities (i.e. water, electricity and gas)
- access to TV, internet
- use of facilities (e.g. iron, vacuum cleaner, laundry)
You will also be expected to:
- support your student in their studies
- monitor your student’s health and well-being
- accept duty of care for your student outside of school hours
- provide a friendly and inviting home for your student
- speak English with your student to improve their language skills
Looking after someone else’s son or daughter is a big responsibility but it is not one you will have to face alone. We will provide you with:
- weekly allowance of $300 for single room
- an initial briefing session and homestay handbook
- homestay newsletters
- homestay workshops covering a variety of topics
- invite to our annual homestay picnic for families and students
- an exciting range of homestay activities and giveaways
- ongoing support from our homestay accommodation team
- access to our 24 hour emergency telephone service