Select a Language

South Australian Government Schools

Government of South Australia Department of Education and Children's Services

School-aged dependent children of SA government endorsed scholarship holders

Children of SA Government Endorsed Scholarship Holders

If you are a South Australian government endorsed scholarship holder studying in a South Australian university or tertiary education institution on visa subclass 500, you can enrol your children in a South Australian government school for the duration of your visa. Your school-aged dependant children must be between 5 and 18 years of age and unmarried.

South Australian government endorsed scholarships include:

  • Australian government scholarships e.g. AusAID or International Postgraduate Research Scholarship
  • South Australian government scholarships
  • South Australian university scholarships
  • Some scholarships awarded by the tertiary student's home country government, provincial or state government, or multilateral agency e.g. United Nations, World Bank or Asian Development Bank.
    For this scholarship, you must:
    • study at Flinders University, the University of Adelaide or University of South Australia
    • reside in South Australia for the duration of your studies and
    • be studying a higher degree by research (visa subclass 500).

If you do not have one of the above South Australian endorsed scholarships, you will need to enrol your Dependants as Children of a full fee-paying international tertiary student.

Dependant Fee Waiver

If you have been awarded a 100% waiver of tuition fees for your South Australian government endorsed scholarship, your children will also be eligible for a 100% tuition fee waiver for the length of your study.

If you have been awarded a tuition fee waiver of less than 100%, for example 20%, your children will be eligible for a tuition fee waiver of the same percentage (e.g. 20%) of the Dependant fees. In such cases, a Letter of Offer will be issued detailing the initial fees payable.

All South Australian government endorsed scholarship holders are also required to pay the school Materials and Services Charges set by the local school at which your children will be attending. These charges will vary from school to school, depending on the level of services used (ranging from $110 to $920 per annum) and are payable directly to the school. Any clarification regarding school charges must be made directly to the school.

How to enrol my children as Dependants

Please follow the steps below to enrol your children in a South Australian government school.

  1. Download the Tertiary Scholarship Verification Form and take it to your tertiary institution to complete.
  2. Complete and submit the Dependant of Scholarship Holders Application Form.
  3. Your application will be processed and you will be sent a Letter of Authority and Dependant Notification of School Form.                                                                                                                                                         
  4. Return your Acceptance of Offer.
  5. Enrol your children in your local school. Most government schools are zoned according to location. You can find a South Australian government school for your children based on the zone in which you will be residing. Your local school may advise you to enrol your children in an Intensive English Language Program to improve their English language skills before commencing at the local school. There is no additional fee to enrol in this program.
  6. Complete the Dependant Notification of School Form and return it to your school.


Print this page